Day off for a wedding


Today was a public holiday due to the Royal Wedding so I’ve not made much, only a couple of union jacks.  I’ve also had some lovely cake and a great time picnicking in a park.  So here are a couple of pictures from the day.

Making flags

Street party cake from imaginative icing

Imaginative Icing Royal Wedding cake

Jam tarts on Imaginative Icing Cake.

Flag and car

Cakes for the Royal wedding

Union flag over royal wedding procession

Picnic with flags

Tansy beetle bag competition and top design


Tansy beetle print on black

Tansy beetle

Tiny Tansy beetle

Openwork top

I’m pleased to announce that the winner of Tansy beetle bag giveaway is Julie b. Congratulations, the tansy beetle bag will be winging it’s way to you.  Thanks to everyone who entered it was great to see so much interest.  I also have good news about the Tansy beetle I saw another one very near my house on a green, which is an area of special scientific interest. I haven’t seen them there before so I think it’s a good sign.

I’ve been working on a new design for a woman’s top using fabric with a woven pattern.  It’s organic cotton woven on a hand loom in India and has stripes of openwork, little holes like lace, it’s very pretty and quite fine.  I’m trying a different shape for the top that flows out at the bottom but sewn so it still hangs flat.  If it works I’m hoping it will show the shape when you move in it.  I also had a couple of ideas for decoration around the neckline and bottom but the design on the fabric may be enough as I don’t want to make it look too fussy.  I’ve also got some plans to make the arms longer so that the fabric covers the cuffs, I’m hoping this will make it look really special.

Open work fabric

White rabbit drawing


White rabbit drawing

I really enjoyed Alice in Wonderland as a child, both the story and the illustrations by John Tenniel.   Recently its been influencing some of my art especially the symbols and characters.  My drawing above shows an updated version of the white rabbit, who’s a bit more rock and roll than the original character.  The original sketch was in pencil which I’ve finished with black ink.  I may tackle the door mouse next.

Red stripy seaside bag


Red stripy seaside bag

Having some free time over Easter gave me a chance to finish the bag I’ve been making for myself.  It’s made with red stripy material that give it a nautical feel, I’ve made it even more seasidey by painting and embroidering seagulls.  I had some problems with my original handles as they were fiddly to finish so I decided just to add a simple strap, it’s also longer than the original which I prefer.   I gave the bag a sort of crescent shape reminiscent of a ships’ bow and constructed two pockets, one for my iphone and one for other bits and pieces.  I’ve taken the bag out and about and it’s working great, it’s durable and roomy.  Now I just need to visit the seaside to test it fully ;).

Creating a bag - lining and seams

Sunny Spring


Had a lovely Easter and spent a lot of time outside, eating, catching up with friends, walking and looking at the spring nature.

blackbird in tree

Blackbird

Ladybird

Tadpoles by reeds

Bluebells

hawthorn flowers

Red admiral butterfly in flight

Flowering bluebells

Cupcake in the park

Shirt


Shirt fitting

Fitting of the check shirt

I had the second fitting for the shirt I’m making yesterday which went well, although some adjustments were needed.  The green check fabric is really nice to work with and hangs well.  I’ve started sewing some of the main seams even though I still haven’t finalised the exact look of the collar.  After reviewing the look of the shirt I have decided to created visible turn up seams on the bottom of the shirt to match the sleeves.  I think this will add some volume to the shirt and creates an extra detail to balance out the decorative buttons.  I also like the style it gives to the shirt, the turn ups on the sleeve remind me of the 50/60s and shirt sleeves being folded to keep cigarette packets in.  I’m hoping to get the hemming done today as I’m looking forward to relaxing for Easter.

Judo bag and Dragon drawstring bag


Dragon bag and judo bag

Dragon bag and judo bag

The second of the draw string bags I’m making is finished this one is with thicker green fabric printed with welsh dragons.  I like this fabric and it doesn’t fray as easily as the stripy fabric I used for the first drawstring bag.  I have a strip of fabric left over from cutting this bag and have been thinking of what to make with it, I’m tending towards making a wallet from it.  The judo bag has now been finished and tested as well.  After I’d finished the bag I thought of a useful addition so I made a ribbon using the same fabric and sewed one end into the inside seam.   This allows rings to be tied to the bag so that they can’t fall out during judo training.  I’ve also finished tacking the shirt I’m making ready for another live fitting this evening.

Previous Older Entries