Fabric, ironing and direction


Bundle of fabric

The fabric arrived

My fabric arrived yesterday afternoon.  Yay!  I had a great time looking through all the textures and colours, the stripy fabric is particularly colourful and the bamboo silk is luxuriously soft.  The bundle also included the green gingham I’ve been waiting for for my shirt project so today that’s what I got started on.

The fabric is 100% organic cotton so there could be problems with shrinkage and in order to minimize these I decided to pre-wash the fabric.  I also wanted to get started on the project as soon as possible so I sketched out the pattern on the fabric to see how much of the fabric I needed.  Having cut the fabric into two pieces I put the amount of fabric I needed for the shirt onto wash and as the fabric’s organic I did the wash without washing powder.  After it was washed I then had to iron the fabric, but to let you into a secret I’m very bad at ironing so I was not looking forward to this.   To my surprise ironing it was easy and I actually enjoyed it!

Then came the fun, and slightly scary, part drawing the sections and cutting the pattern.  This went well for the largest section, the main back piece, and I left plenty of room for adjustment during the fitting.  When I started thinking about the two front panels I realised I’d made a mistake when I’d blocked out the pieces to check how much cloth I’d need.  Pattern, yes pattern tripped me up.   The checked fabric has a directional pattern.  I’d carefully positioned the fabric in the most efficient way to maximise the use of the fabric but not remembered the direction of the two front panels needs to be the same as the back panel.  I put the rest of the fabric onto wash and cut the rest of the pieces, sleeves, neck collar from the original piece.  Now I have more ironing to do before I can finish the cutting but at least I didn’t cut the front pieces and work out later the pattern was the wrong way!

Advertisements